Sunday, August 02, 2009

I think I'm illegal.

It's not my fault, though. I swear.

The Burundian Embassy in Washington only issues visas of one month, which I didn't realize until I arrived here and heard my boss's woes about visa issues. It expired in the middle of last month, but we brought it into the PAF (the Police d'Air et Frontieres)--the immigration office--which is a nightmare of disorganization and bureaucracy. They opened a file for me, and it was expected that, for another $60 (the original visa was $80), I would have my new visa in a week.

I know they were working on my file, because apparently it was laying out for everyone to see, and a friend who was passing through saw it. Privacy is a bit of a foreign concept.

Well, two-and-a-half weeks later, and with no end in sight, I still don't have a new visa. Why? Because the PAF lost my file. "Oh, it'll turn up," they have assured me. Looking at the chaotic mounds of dusty paper piled on every horizontal surface, I'm not so certain.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pyrotech said...

I'm considering spending next school year in Rwanda volunteering. The current plan is to go to Mugonero hospital where I live when I was a baby. After reading about your visa woes I was wondering if you had any advice for me about what required for an extended stay and what would be the best way to go about doing it.
Thanks

2/01/2010 12:42 AM  
Blogger Pyrotech said...

Sorry for the bad grammar, I should have read through it before posting.

2/01/2010 12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Morgan, I am an undergraduate in my final year and I would very much like to volunteer in Kigali, I was wondering if you inform me on organisations that provide placements to teach children English in Kigali.

Thank you,
Del
PS- i love your blog very insightful, and I agree with all your points about Burundi, being a Burundian myself.

3/21/2012 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home