Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Quick Visit!

I've been talking about returning to Rwanda for the 15th Commemoration of the Genocide for years. It is this year, and despite my student poverty, I decided to skip school for a week and go to Rwanda to attend an international conference on the Rwandan Genocide (which, as of last year, has been renamed the "Genocide Against Tutsis").

The website for the conference is pretty hard to find, so I'm posting it here in case anyone else is also interested: http://www.cnlg.gov.rw/15th_sympos.htm

I'm looking forward to getting back to my brochettes and Mutzig!

5 Comments:

Blogger Mandy said...

Wow. It is amazing how quickly this anniversary seems to have come upon us. I would love to be there but I will be in South Africa.

http://passiontounderstand.blogspot.com/

3/18/2009 4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any thoughts on why the Rwandan leadership changed the name of the genocide?

3/18/2009 11:09 PM  
Blogger Morgan C. said...

My guess is that people outside Rwanda were unclear as to which group was being massacred. I find it a little contradictory that they would rename the genocide that way but also disallow discussions of ethnicity....

3/19/2009 12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right. & I'd be very interested in hearing any observations you may have on press freedoms in Rwanda right now, if that's a subject you'd be interested in writing about in your blog at some point. I haven't been yet and other than human rights NGOs I can't seem to find much online.

3/20/2009 12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME, you are an angel! Help save Africa, I'm also trying my best but imperial mindsets have destroyed the morality of most humans in America, Canada, and developed nations.

3/27/2009 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home