Monday, January 23, 2006

Rwandan food

So it's my first day on the job, and I finish my security briefing on CD-ROM. (Anecdote: This program is for UN personnel...it gives advice on how to be safe in the field. During one part, it said, "In many countries, public transportation should be avoided." Alongside was a picture of the Metro, the orange line. Virginia's not that bad!) I finished at about 1:30, and looked for my supervisor, so I could tell her.

The entire place was empty. You could have heard crickets.

Soooo....I was deserted during my first lunchtime. I had heard a rumor that there was a cafeteria, so I went in search of it. No luck. I ended up eating at some tiny place behind the UNHCR building, where the staff didn't speak English and barely spoke French.

There was a buffet, but I had no idea what anything was. What I thought was a potato in tomato sauce was actually a banana in tomato sauce...Some lime-looking fruits or vegetables that I have never seen before were stewed with collard greens and God knows what other spices. They were cringingly tangy and bitter, but I put some salt on them and tried to force them down. I always lecture people that they should finish their food because there are starving children in Somalia, so I have to clean my plate while I am here so as to avoid being the world's biggest hypocrite.

Cost? 75 cents.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For 75 cents, I think you can afford to be a little picky. I hope you still have that candy I gave you. :-)

1/23/2006 2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am following your "adventures" in Rwanda with interest. Thanks for making a blog so others can share your experiences. I hope the food agrees with you :)

1/23/2006 3:32 PM  
Blogger Morgan C. said...

Thanks! I guess it is more important that the food agrees with me, not that I agree with the food..... :)

1/24/2006 9:11 AM  
Blogger MappyB said...

New reader - I'm excited to read more about your experiences.

1/25/2006 4:03 PM  
Anonymous Helena said...

Goood read

1/30/2024 7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home